Student Resources

Student Services

The Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts provides academic advising and scheduling assistance to College of Liberal Arts degree program students and RIT students who are pursuing an immersion, minor, or secondary major in the College of Liberal Arts. We also provide pre-professional advising to students who are in interested in pursuing pre-law or education studies. Our advising staff, made up of highly trained professional advisors, can help you select appropriate courses for your degree or interests, develop a plan of study, and explain RIT’s policies and procedures. Advisors also provide study abroad advising to help students add an international dimension to their studies.

Hours & Location

The office is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m. by appointment. Contact your advisor with questions or schedule your appointment on Starfish. The Office of Student Services is located on the second floor of Liberal Arts Hall (LBR 2210).



Students must take the Writing Placement Exam (WPE) in order to enroll in First Year Writing (UWRT 150 or ENGL 150). Students are given the opportunity to take the WPE on-line prior to fall orientation. Students who did not take the exam prior to orientation can access the exam page at

If you are beginning your first year here at RIT, and you are coming to us without AP or transfer credit for a first year composition class, you will (seats permitting) likely be placed directly into UWRT 150 or ENGL 150.  Directed Self Placement (DSP) is a process that provides you with information about the curricular options available to you that will aid in success with your First Year Writing experience.  For example, if after taking the DSP survey and examining the course materials for 150, you feel you would like more training in some of the skills necessary for success in academic writing, we offer UWRT 100, a three credit, general education elective that will prepare you to meet the challenges of First Year Writing. We also have intensive, one on one training and consultations available to you in our Writing Commons.  To find out how we can meet your needs, email [email protected] and/or take the DSP survey and view the UWRT 100 and 150 course materials at the website below.

Read more  

This means that the course section has enrollment requirements in effect. Seats may be reserved for a particular program or minor which may either be temporary or permanent. Please check the student information system for the course criteria for enrollment. If you do meet the criteria and are still unable to enroll, please contact the Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts for assistance.

In many circumstances, an instructor may be unable to accept additional students due to the size of the classroom and/or nature of the particular curriculum. As class enrollment can fluctuate during pre-registration and drop/add periods, please add yourself to waitlist and continue to monitor SIS for openings that will permit you to be waitlisted and/or enrolled.

Log in to SIS and click on the My Academics link on the left side navigation bar. Once you enter that menu, select the link that says Declare/Change Immersion. Select an immersion from the drop-down menu and click submit. You will receive a confirmation message that the immersion has been added to your student record.

Generally, students should declare an immersion by the end of their second year of study.  If you need assistance with choosing an immersion, check out the Liberal Arts Navigator and then talk to an advisor about your results.

Please check the RIT directory website at:

Students may also call 475-2444 for more information.

Students should see an advisor when they have questions regarding:

  • a liberal arts double major, minor, or immersion
  • changing your program to a liberal arts major
  • pre-law or becoming a teacher


Selecting a Liberal Arts Immersion allows you to explore areas of interest apart from your major, as well as develop crucial transferable skills that you will use throughout your career. To help you find an immersion that fits with your interests and goals, we’ve developed an easy way to navigate the liberal arts options available to you. You’ll be able to explore immersions based on your areas of interest, as well as see what immersions other students in your home College are pursuing. We’ll also highlight topics each immersion covers, the transferable skills gained and refined through its study, as well as possible careers you can pursue when you combine it with your major.

So play around, have fun and see what interests you!

Library Services

The Wallace Center Library at RIT is home to a variety of resources that can make your academic life easier and your study time more productive. You can find complete information on the library and all of its services at

The College of Liberal Arts has a dedicated librarian to help students through the research process. Whether you need help finding a source, navigating various databases, formatting a citation, or you just aren’t sure where to start, connecting with the college librarian can save you time and ensure you’re on the right track.

Cami Goldowitz is available for assistance on all College of Liberal Arts subjects via email, phone, online chat, or in-person meetings. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are preferred. If you need immediate assistance and Cami isn’t available, you should contact the reference desk.

For students in Digital Humanities and Social Sciences, a specialized librarian for the discipline, Rebekah Walker, is available for assistance.  

Cami Goldowitz
Liberal Arts Librarian


[email protected] | 585-475-2626​

Rebekah Walker
Digital Humanities & Social Sciences Librarian
[email protected]

Scholarships, Funds & Grants

The College of Liberal Arts Student Research Fund supports research by students enrolled in CLA degree programs. Projects may include, but are not limited to, Master’s theses, senior projects, senior theses, or independent studies conducted in any CLA department. Funded projects must have a faculty sponsor who is a member of the faculty in the College of Liberal Arts. If the faculty sponsor is not from the College of Liberal Arts, the student’s department chair must approve the faculty sponsor participation.

Students may use these grants ($500 maximum) to cover the expense of, for example, materials, software, postage, copying, and research travel. Grant money may not be used for tuition, secretarial assistance, entertainment, or for compensating each and every participant in a study. When the project is completed, applicants must submit a copy of the research to the Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts.*

How to Apply for a Small Grant for Independent Student Research

First, talk it over with a sponsor
You must discuss your research idea with a faculty member who agrees to serve as sponsor. Working closely with your sponsor, determine:

  • the problem to be explored
  • the objectives of the project
  • the activities to be undertaken
  • a budget

Then, write the proposal
Your proposal should be brief—no more than 1000 words, or four double-spaced pages—yet informatively specific and rigorously organized. The proposal must include five sections: Problem, Objectives, Activities, Budget, and Contact Information. You must also include an approval form signed by your faculty sponsor and your department chair.

  1. Problem: Describe the problem you wish to explore, or the question to which you seek an answer.
  2. Objectives: Describe the anticipated outcomes of your project (“To learn …” “To discover…” “To create …”). If appropriate, describe the social and/or scholarly benefits of the project.
  3. Procedures: Describe what you will do to complete the project. Be sure to aim this description toward generally educated readers who will not be familiar with your professional jargon. At the same time you should thoroughly describe your methods so it is clear how you will be able to answer the problem described in Section 1. Include a timeline with estimated date of completion.
  4. Budget: Itemize the costs of completing your project. All items requested in the budget should be accounted for in your Procedures. Please remember that grants are limited to $500.
  1. Contact Information: Please include your e-mail address.

Every proposal must be signed by the applicant, the faculty sponsor, and the Chair of the sponsor’s department. Submit your application electronically to Assistant Dean John Smithgall.

Deadlines for Submission of Proposals

There will be two deadlines for submitting applications for awards during each academic year. For projects submitted on September 18 and to be completed during the academic year (October 1-June 30) all funds must be expended by June 30. Proposals submitted on February 15, for projects to be completed from March 1 to June 30, all funds must be expended by June 30.

Application Due Date     Decision Due Date   Project Timing   Timeframe for Expending Funds   Student Report w/ Detail of Expenditures Due   Receipts Due to Dean's Office
Sept. 18 Sept. 30

Oct. 1 - June 30 of same AY

Current Fiscal Year Sept. 1 of year award is received June 30 of AY award is received
Feb. 15 Feb. 25 Mar. 1 - June 30 Current Fiscal Year Sept. 1 of year award is received June 30 of AY award is received

The funds cannot be applied retroactively, so students are encouraged to plan ahead with their faculty sponsor.

*All applications are to be submitted electronically to Assistant Dean John Smithgall  at [email protected].edu.

The College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Student Travel Fund has two main purposes:

  1. To support student travel to present original research/papers at conferences, up to a maximum of $500
  2. To encourage study or research abroad, up to a maximum of $750

Application Process (Conference Presentation)
Submit an application which details travel to present a paper at a professional conference. The proposal must include:

  • The titled of the conference, dates, and location
  • A detailed budget; eligible expenses include conference registration, transportation, accommodations and meals. (If presenting with other students, shared accommodations will be preferred, when possible.)
  • Written evidence that the paper was accepted for presentation
  • Approval form signed by your sponsoring faculty or your advisor and home department chair

Please note, these funds cannot be applied retroactively, so please plan ahead with your faculty sponsor.

Application Process (Study Abroad/International Research)
Submit an application which details the following:

  • A brief description of no more than 300 words regarding the travel, its purpose and its value to your educational or professional enrichment
  • The duration of time to be spent abroad
  • A budget itemizing expenses
  • Proof of acceptance into a study abroad program or approval of the research project if working with outside sponsors at the time of this application. Note the degree of your language preparation, if applicable.
  • Approval of your advisor and department chair


Application Due Date Decision Due Date Eligible Date for Travel Timeframe for Expending Funds Student Report w/ Detail of Expenditures Due Receipts Due to Dean's Office
September 10th September 20th October 1st - June 30th of same AY Current Fiscal Year September 1st of year award is received June 30th of the year award is received
October 29th November 20th December 1st - June 30th of same AY Current Fiscal Year September 1st of year award is received June 30th of the year award is received
February 11th February 26th March 1st - June 30th of same AY Current Fiscal Year September 1st of year award is received June 30th of the year award is received

**All applications are to be submitted electronically to Assistant Dean John Smithgall at [email protected].

The Clark Internship Support Fund supports internships and co-ops for students enrolled in the degree programs of the College of Liberal Arts. It is intended to provide partial financial assistance to students who wish to accept professionally valuable internships and co-ops that do not include sufficient levels of financial support. Awards shall be based on academic merit or financial need, at the discretion of the award committee, and though the award is available to both men and women, preference shall be given to women enrolled in the programs of the College.

The College of Liberal Arts reviews applications for Clark internship assistance each fall and spring. (See application dates below.) Applicants must be Liberal Arts degree program students who plan to go on a co-op or internship during the upcoming fall, spring, or summer semesters.

How to apply 
Complete an application form and send it along with verification of co-op/internship offer to Assistant Dean John Smithgall ([email protected])
Deadlines: November 8th (for spring co-ops/internships) and March 27th (for summer or fall co-ops/internships)

Things to note if you receive an award
If you are selected to received Clark Internship Support Funds, you will be required to write a "thank-you" note to donors who made this award possible. Details on donor names and titles will be provided by the Office of Student Services, which will also handle postage and mailing of the notes.

You will also be required to write a brief summary (2-3 pages) of your experiences. This paper is due within three weeks of the start of the semester following completion of your internship.

The Alumni & Friends Endowed Scholarship supports students who have demonstrated outstanding leadership abilities in the College or RIT, are enrolled full time in a Liberal Arts undergraduate degree program, and are in good academic standing. Eligible students must have a GPA of at least 3.0 in their degree program. The scholarship rewards students who have exercised leadership in improving the life of the RIT community.

The deadline for applications is the first Friday in April.

The Alumni & Friends Endowed Scholarship is administered by a committee appointed by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Applications must include the following:

  • A letter of support from the Chair of the student's program attesting to his or her good academic standing.
  • Either a letter from a faculty member who can speak to the student's performance in a particular course or a letter from a member of the RIT community who has observed the student's work in a leadership capacity.
  • A short essay of 250-500 words. In this essay the student should describe a specific event or activity in which she or he took a leadership role, explain that role, and discuss the benefit to the College or RIT community.

Examples of leadership include but are not limited to: serving as an officer in an active club or student organization, organizing an important event, or making a significant contribution to the College or RIT community independently of any particular club or organization.

Completed student applications and letters of support (chair and faculty or RIT community member) should be submitted directly to: John Smithgall Assistant Dean, Director of Student Services ([email protected])