Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
RIT Global

COVID-19 and Study Abroad

The RIT Education Abroad office is constantly monitoring how COVID-19 is affecting international travel, with student safety as our top priority. As of Fall 2021 and Spring 2022, a small cohort of RIT students are participating in study abroad programs. As transmissions rates abroad continue to decline and restrictions ease, we anticipate an increase in study abroad participation, however, some locations or programs may still be limited. Students will be required to be vaccinated, follow all applicable CDC and/or state/international travel guidelines when traveling, and may need to take additional precautions. All study abroad locations will need to be approved by the RIT Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.

All faculty, staff, students and others participating in RIT study abroad/international travel must be fully vaccinated against COVID or have a valid RIT exemption. If you have a valid RIT exemption to the vaccination requirement please be advised that your ability to participate in RIT study abroad/international travel will be subject to any requirements imposed by a host country. RIT may be able to provide reasonable accommodations for individuals with a valid RIT exemption, provided that they do not alter the nature of the educational experience for others participating in RIT study abroad/international travel, but it cannot change host country COVID requirements.

Please visit the RIT COVID-19 Vaccination Information website for more information.

If you have any questions, please contact Jenny Sullivan, director of Education Abroad & International Fellowships at [email protected] or (585) 475-3224.

Additional information about how COVID-19 is affecting RIT study abroad

What constitutes an international emergency?

Please contact us about any situation that poses an immediate or potential risk to the safety, security or health of RIT students, faculty or staff overseas on a RIT‑sponsored activity. Emergency situations include, but are not limited to:

  • Significant accident or illness including hospitalization
  • Significant mental health issue
  • Political crisis including acts/threats of war/terrorism
  • Disappearance or kidnapping
  • Natural disasters
  • Allegation of sexual harassment or sexual assault
  • Victim of a violent crime or physical assault
  • Arrest or questioning by local authorities, legal action or allegation that someone is the victim or perpetrator of a crime
  • Other Safety Concerns: disease outbreak, fires, floods

911 equivalent emergency numbers around the world 

Emergency steps for RIT students, faculty, staff and program directors:

  1. Take whatever actions are necessary to assure your immediate safety, which may include calling the local emergency number for emergency responders. List of 911 equivalent emergency numbers around the world
  2. Contact your in-country staff (RIT global campus, RIT faculty director, or affiliate staff).
  3. Contact RIT Public Safety Office at 585‑475‑2853 (answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). The operator will collect information about the emergency along with your contact information and forward the information to the RIT Education Abroad office. Or complete the Report An International Emergency form here.

Be prepared to provide as much of the following information as possible:

  1. Name of the individual(s) involved (including your own)
  2. RIT affiliation (student, faculty or staff)
  3. Reason for travel (study abroad, co-op abroad, employment at RIT location, etc.)
  4. In-country phone number/contact (including country code), mobile phone number and email address
  5. Country and program of study
  6. Description of emergency
  7. Actions taken
  8. Assistance needed

    RIT's International Traveler Emergency Response Plan can be found here.

International non-emergency assistance:

Report an international non-emergency here

The Education Abroad office strongly encourages students and faculty participating in study abroad programs to report non-emergency health and/or safety incidents to our office so we can provide resources and assistance as necessary. Non-emergency situations include, but are not limited to:

  • Lost passport or ID
  • Stolen property
  • Property damage
  • If you are a victim of a non-violent crime
  • If you are experiencing any health issues or illnesses that are ongoing and are affecting your ability to go to class, etc.
  • Any other unusual event that occurs while you are participating in an RIT study abroad program

How to report:

If the incident is no longer an immediate or potential risk to safety, security or health, you can report the incident using the Study Abroad Non-Emergency Incident Form or by contacting Jenny Sullivan, director of Education Abroad & International Fellowships at 585-475-3224 or [email protected] during the next business day.

Reporting incidents is important as RIT has a legal obligation to report certain types of incidents that occur on programs abroad. The collection of information will help the university determine which incidents need to be reported to the federal/state government. No personally identifying information will be shared.

Note: Any information you provide will be a FERPA protected education record. As a general rule, only RIT officials with a legitimate educational interest will have access to this information. Those may include professionals in the Education Abroad office, Office of Risk Management, RIT Public Safety, Dean of Students office, health center or university counseling among others.

International Emergency Preparedness Tips:

  • Carry a card in your wallet with important emergency phone numbers in case your phone is not accessible.
  • Create a communication plan for reaching family and friends in the event of a crisis.
  • Know the location and phone number of the nearest U.S. embassy.
  • Understand the emergency procedures in place for your study abroad program. This is discussed at your RIT pre‑departure meeting as well as your in-country orientation at the beginning of your program.
  • Make sure at least one parent or relative back home has a valid passport so they will be able to travel to assist you in‑country if needed.
  • During a political crisis or other emergency during which foreigners in general or U.S. citizens in particular may be at risk:
    • Keep a low profile.
    • Avoid behavior that could attract attention.
    • Avoid locales where foreigners or Americans are known to congregate.
    • Avoid carrying or wearing anything that would identify you as an American/foreigner.