Applying for Aid | Graduate Students

Applying for financial aid is an important step in making an innovative, creative education possible.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Apply for admission to your desired RIT Graduate program
  2. Contact your graduate program coordinator to learn about scholarships and assistantship opportunities.
  3. Apply for Federal Aid if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and using RIT’s school code 002806.
  4. Get detailed aid information if you are an International Student, NTID-Supported Student, or a Veteran/ROTC/Military Family.

Contact us if you have questions or need help.

Contact Us about aid

RIT Application and FAFSA Preferred Filing Dates


March 1

Financial aid award notification begins mid-April


November 1

Financial aid award notification beings late November.

Outside Aid Sources may have their own deadlines that vary.


RIT Graduate Scholarships are awarded by academic programs in recognition of students’ records of academic excellence. The amount of the award varies by student and department. Scholarships do not include a stipend. These awards carry with them the expectation that students will maintain a minimum academic standard (3.0 cumulative grade point average) and make satisfactory progress toward their degrees.

Students who qualify for a full RIT tuition waiver or full reimbursement from an employer or an outside agency are not eligible for an RIT Graduate Scholarship.


RIT Graduate Assistantships are offered to full-time matriculated graduate students to serve as teaching, research, or administrative assistants. Graduate assistants receive wages (determined by the department making the appointment) in exchange for work performed. Many graduate assistants also receive tuition remission (i.e. tuition support) in addition to receiving wages for assistantship duties.

Two RIT students working in a lab.Contact your graduate program coordinator to discuss what Teaching and Research Assistantship opportunities are available.

If you are interested in pursuing an Administrative Assistantship, it is likely you will need to conduct your own search for offices on campus that have such opportunities. We recommend that you contact Residential Life and the Student Employment Office to assist you with your search.

Department Coordinator Directory

Student Employment

There are a variety of on-campus opportunities for RIT students. The hourly rate of pay is dependent upon the skill or experience required for the job. Student employees are paid biweekly and these earnings are taxable. You do not need an offer of Student Employment on your Financial Aid Award notification to be able to work at RIT; however you must meet employment requirements. For more details on student employment opportunities, go to

Federal Student Loan Eligibility

Money awarded to you by the Federal government may include Federal Loans and/or Federal Work Study.

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to receive Federal Aid. RIT’s FAFSA school code is 002806.

FAFSA®: Getting Started 2022-23.

To apply for a federal student loan, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). RIT’s FAFSA school code is 002806. You will receive a financial aid award notification that will detail how much federal loan funding you may borrow.

As a graduate student, you can borrow up to $20,500 each year in Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Direct Graduate PLUS Loans can also be used for the remainder of your college costs not covered by other financial aid. The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan requires a separate application available through

Before your federal loan(s) can disburse, you will be required to complete Entrance Counseling, a tool to ensure you understand your obligation to repay the loan; and sign a Master Promissory Note, agreeing to the terms.

Federal student loans can be used for living expenses as well as for books and educational-related supplies, in addition to tuition.

You can choose how much loan funding you would like to accept. You are not required to take out all of the loans that are awarded to you.

The flags of many nations hanging inside a building at RIT.

International Aid

Discover the aid opportunities available to international students studying at RIT.

Learn More about international aid

Additional Aid

Vocational Rehabilitation Assistance

Vocational Rehabilitation Assistance (also known in some states as ACCES-VR, DVR, MRC, OVR, and VR) is provided by state agencies to residents who meet specific requirements due to physical limitations or intellectual disabilities. Contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office near your home to qualify for VR support.

Outside Scholarships

Outside Scholarships and Employer Tuition Waivers are awarded by private (non- RIT) organizations. We encourage all students to apply for outside scholarships since these are an excellent source of funding and may reduce the need to borrow loans. If you are receiving a scholarship or tuition waiver from an outside source, regulations require that you notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. In many cases, no adjustments to a student’s financial aid award are necessary.

Alternative (Non-Federal) Loans

Alternative educational loans are private (non-federal) loans offered through banks to supplement financial aid awards. You may borrow through any lender of your choice as RIT does not maintain a preferred lender list.

Carefully review all financing options prior to considering this type of loan. If you qualify for federal loan(s), be sure to use these loan options first (Direct Subsidized/ Unsubsidized and Direct PLUS/Graduate PLUS loans).

Accelerated Degrees

In our accelerated degree programs, RIT generally double-counts six to nine credit hours in both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees, enabling you to accelerate your studies to complete both degrees faster. 

These resources will help you understand how your tuition and aid change from undergraduate to graduate and your responsibilities.

Forms and Resources

We’ve collected the forms you may need to submit when applying for financial aid. All forms require at least one signature. Digital and electronic signatures are not acceptable.

To view forms, we recommend you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (you can download it for free).

The best way to submit forms is through our secure file upload, which protects your privacy and confidential information. We do not accept any forms or documentation via email.

Forms may also be mailed to our office. Find our address in the Contact section.

Additional resources are available if you need help determining your financial need, understanding financial aid terms, and more.

Financial Aid Forms Secure File Upload

Contact Us

If you have questions at any point in the process, we’re here to help.

For general questions about the financial aid process, we recommend our live chat.

For general questions about your specific situation, we recommend that you email

For detailed questions about your specific situation, we recommend that you call 585-475-2186.

Contacting our office by phone or email allows us to answer specific questions related to a student as long as we are able to affirm the student and the individual requesting information to protect privacy and confidentiality. Live chat is reserved only for general non-student specific information.

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Bausch and Lomb Center
56 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, NY 14623-5604

Directions to Admissions and Aid

Financial Aid Counseling Team

Consumer Information

Secure Document Upload

Office Hours

8:30am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
p. 585-475-2186

f. 585-475-7270